Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Classics Club Spin #37

I'm so excited to be participating in my very first Classics Club Spin!  This is a fun game played to determine which classic you will read next.  You begin by creating a numbered Spin List of 20 books remaining on your Classics Club Challenge.  Then, Lady Fortuna spins her wheel and whichever number rises to the top launches the corresponding book on your list straight to the top of your TBR pile.

Here is my Spin List:

1. Kipps - H.G. Wells
2. We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson
3. The Castle of Otranto - Horace Walpole
4. Wide Sargasso Sea - Jean Rhys
5. The Grasmere and Alfoxden Journals - Dorothy Wordsworth
6. The Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer
7. A Vindication of the Rights of Woman - Mary Wollstonecraft
8. The Travels of Sir John Mandeville
9. A Journal of the Plague Year - Daniel Defoe
10. Piers Ploughman - William Langland
11. Jude the Obscure - Thomas Hardy
12. The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
13. He Knew He Was Right - Anthony Trollope
14. The Forsyte Saga - John Galsworthy
15. Faust - Goethe
16. Lady Audley's Secret - Mary Elizabeth Braddon
17. Shirley - Charlotte Bronte
18. Madame Bovary - Gustave Flaubert
19. The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
20. Vera - Elizabeth von Arnim

Since I have just started my Classics Club Challenge, I decided to leave even more up to chance and made use of a random number generator to create my list, making a couple of substitutions when I already had reading plans for the books selected, or when I felt the book was just too long to read in a set time.  I did, however, allow He Knew He Was Right to remain, just to add an Element of Terror to the spin (it's 952 pages long).  

I find out which book I'll be reading on Sunday!

Update:  THE WHEEL HAS SPOKEN!  I will be reading The Travels of Sir John Mandeville!

4 comments:

  1. I love how you selected your choices randomly, too, and it's delightful that you kept He Knew He Was Right to add an Element of Terror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Trollope novel is lurking in the shadows, waiting to pounce...

      Delete
  2. I also have Madame Bovary on my spin list, but I hope you get The Day of the Triffids. I've loved every book of his that I've read! Good luck with your first spin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly! I read The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham last year, and now I want to read everything he wrote!

      Delete